Wednesday, March 21, 2007

6. The Work

"Oh, if one could only cry! Oh, if one could only affront the wind as we once used to, on equal terms, and not as we do here, like cringing dogs.
We are outside and everyone picks up his lever. Renyk drops his head between his shoulders, pulls his beret over his ears and lifts his face up to the low grey sky where the inexorable snow swirls around: 'Si j'avey une chien, je ne le chasse pas dehors.' "


Chapter six basically illustrates the everyday harsh labour work in Auschwitz. Just reading the different situations of sufferings that Primo Levi had to go through emphasizes how lucky we are to be living in a world where everything would be a luxury, compared to the situations of concentration camps in WWII. Sometimes I whine and complain about the things that I have to confront everyday in my life. I dream of better things that I could have gotten especially when facing hardships and hard work from school. But when I think about the Jews who suffered through the concentration camps, I realize how stupid I am. Jews were like slaves to the SS soldiers. They needed permissions to do everything; permission to rest, permission to eat, permission to stop, permission to when to go to bed, and more. They were treated as if they were pets; pets with horrible cruel masters.

No comments: