Wednesday, March 21, 2007

2. On the Bottom

" And we have learnt other things, more or less quickly, according to our intelligence: to reply 'Jawohl', never to ask questions, always to pretend to understand. We have learnt the value of food; now we also diligently scrape the bottom of the bowl after the ration and we hold it under our chins when we eat bread so as not to lose the crumbs." (pg.33)

By reading this quote, I felt sympathy towards the jewish people. They had to suffer through so much humilation and disaster. If I were them, I would not be able to survive a single day. Not being able to do what you want, controlled and forced by soldiers would be a terrible humiliation to experience. They had to scrape the bottom of the bowl for food and only fill up their empty stomachs with crumbs. How much suffering do these people have to go through? As I read the book more and more, an aversion was created in my heart.

No comments: